Friday, June 4, 2010

Hopeful Delivery

When John and I discovered we were expecting another baby, I immediately thought about when to schedule the c-section. With Lenna-Grace, I had to have an unplanned c-section after laboring and pushing. I assumed this would be the next course. I did hear a little about VBACs (Vaginal birth after cesarean), but thought my pregnancies were too close to be considered. After attending my first doctor's visit when I was 9-weeks pregnant, I learned that my risks were no greater just because the two children would be only 17-months apart. At each visit, I met with a different doctor (all in all, I've seen 6 doctors now) in the practice to discover they were all for VBACs and prefer I try a vaginal delivery if possible, and if I wanted more children later.

This began my research! Of course, when you look up VBAC online, there are numerous scary situations. However, when you look at OB/GYN studies and medical studies, you learn that the risks with a second c-section are far greater than risks associated with a VBAC. Many doctors, however, use scare tatics about the complications (which occur in rare cases, like 1% and can occur in regular vaginal deliveries and not just VBACs). A scheduled c-section simply helps cover a doctor's steps. It seems easier, more predictable, and much more (to a doctor).

As for me, I want more children if God desires so. John and I love the idea of having a house full! Most doctors recommend three, at most four, c-sections. And at the fourth, you are at high risk for needing a hysterectomy. Not long ago, doctors even recommended you stop at two c-sections. As well, every surgery puts you at a risk for complications.

Delivery is a natural process and our bodies were made to do it! I want to be in control of my labor and delivery. If I would have known as much as I do now, I would not have allowed them to induce me with Lenna-Grace. Inducing increases one's chance of having to have a cesarean. Lenna-Grace was fine, I was fine, and there really was no need except my doctor's office induces at 41 weeks. Would I still have needed a c-section had a went into labor on my own? Possibly, I don't know. And neither do the doctors.

For this pregnancy, I have read a lot more about natural labor, the mother's rights and requests, and even hired a doula to assist. Why do I need a doula? She is trained and taught on all the medical needs of woman laboring. She will assist me in making INFORMED decisions throughtout my pregnancy, labor, and delivery. If a doctor tells me the baby is not positioned well and I need to have a c-section, the doula can assist me in determining if there are natural ways to assist the baby in moving (and many times there are!). If labor begins to slow down, she can assist me in ways to help it progress so medicines are not needed.

So--for my hopes in this pregnancy, let God tell me when this baby is coming! My doctor's office will let me go about 41 weeks (or 41 weeks and 3 days). Inducing is typically not allowed with VBACs, so this little angel must start the process all on his/her own. Although my last was a c-section, this one is not planned and we will be praying that God helps this pregnancy and delivery go smoothly and everyone is healthy in the end!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I hope everything does go well. You deserve the best!

I can't wait until the little one gets here so she/he can be spoiled! :)

You'll have to let us know when the shower is!